Intellectual Property (IP) Operations Systems (IPOS-DS) Implementation
IPOS-DS has been conceived as a result of an intense and on-going analysis of the consequences of making modern web based technology available to most any individual in the context of the vast variety and quantity of User Created Content. As in the case of the creation of the printing press in its day, where unprecedented numbers of individuals obtained their own copies of literature, so too today’s technology provides unprecedented numbers of individuals with their own publishing platforms! Creation and worldwide distribution of content is now the domain of any individual.
If one considers that just the top 1% of the most talented people in the world represents 60 to 70 million individuals of whom most if not all can obtain access to the digital network and if one considers the top 10% that number increases to 600 to y 700 million, one begins to understand the power and importance of IPOS-DS.
DSC is about management of representations of value and IPOS-DS is about managing the most intimate value an individual can own his own creations and information. From the creation of great musical or literary works, films, compelling videos, documentaries, news event reports to family albums, personal correspondence, legal documents etc, all have value that needs to be managed by their proprietors according to their desires and more importantly their rights.
Management of your own value in an IPOS-DS network is much more than just protecting against unauthorised use, it is about:
- Guaranteeing attribution when you want to
- Distributing content for free or for commercial return
- Interacting and licensing with specialised adaptors, performers, publishers, editors and producers and end users worldwide
- Having direct contact with your public not only through the web but through copies of representations of your content.
- Getting world-wide statistics on how your content is being used and by whom
- Setting up your personal world wide Value Network for your content
- Allowing creators and thinkers with specialised interest to find one another and collaborate constructively in a open yet predictable manner
IPOS-DS (Intellectual Property Operations System – Digital Shadow) is one of the many possible applications of the NetPortedItems’ DigitalShadowCaster suite of development tools. Its objective is to link digital representations of creations with other dependent creations and objects such as original manuscripts, adaptations, performances, editions etc.. collectively called Intellectual Property Entities or simply IP Entities.
Representation of IP Entities is achieved using the DCIs a format developed by the Digital Media Project and based on MPEG-21 Digital Items. DCIs allow you to document the creations you wish to communicate across the network for others to use according to your terms and conditions.
The IP Entities you will be able to represent using IPOS-DS are the following IPOS-ORs (Object Representations):
- Work: This is something you created on your own without using anyone else’s material such as original texts, photos, songs, compositions, videos, presentations even personal data
- Adaptation: This is something you create that takes someone else’s Work and adapts it to a new environment it wasn’t initially intended for such as a musical arrangement of a piano composition for guitar.
- Work Manifestation: This is your Work but in a physical form that can be digitised and communicated to and used by others. This is your manuscript that you might want to scan and send in .pdf format, a recording of you telling your story, a text file anything that can be copied in either digital or analogue media that is a Work of yours.
- Adaptation Manifestation: The same as a Work Manifestation except that it is of an Adaptation and not a Work.
- Manifestation Instance: This is your particular rendition or edition of a Work or Adaptation Manifestation. It is an interpretation of a manuscript or edition of an original text. It can be of your Manifestation but more often it is of other peoples’ that you have received either through IPOS-DS or directly from another user.
- Instance Copy: A copy of an Instance
- Work Manifestation Copy: A copy of a Work Manifestation
- Adaptation Manifestation Copy: A copy of an Adaptation Manifestation
The relationship between these is illustrated in Fig. 1 below:
Fig. 1. Relationships between IPOS-ORs
The arrows represent the dependencies of objects in child and parent relationships of IPOS-ORs. As can be seen an Instance is the child of either types of Manifestations (Work/Adaptation). To achieve this IPOS-DS saves for you the links between IPOS_ORs except of course in the case of a Work that has no parent.
In order for you to perform operations over IPOS-ORs you need to assume a particular role. The roles defined so far are the following:
- Creator: Author of Works
- Adaptor: Author of Adaptations
- Instantiator: Performer, editor
- Productor: Someone who makes copies and/or uses them in products for sale
The types of Roles you can assume and the types of IPOS-ORs you can create under those roles is shown in Table 1 below.
||Work Manifestation Copy
||Adaptation Manifestation Copy
Table 1. Roles vs IPOS-ORs.
As the table illustrates you need to assume the role of Instantiator in order to represent an interpretation (Instance) of even your own Work.
The relationships between the IPOS-DS Roles and IPOS-ORs are according to the DMP Rights Represent Data Ontology.
Full list of IPOS-DS features
- Online User Registration
- User Autentication
- IPOS-OR Registration (Works, Adaptations, Manifestations, Instances, Copies using digital signaturas)
- Definition of potencial Rights over IPOS-ORs and conditions of use with the options to define:
- The number of times a right may be exercised
- Temporal use
- Territorial use
- Payment for use - flat or for discrete use and determine % (0-100%) of Rights to be transferred to child IPOS-ORs (note: transfer or rights relates to share of payments)
- Automatic generation of licenses acquired by users and available from the set of a potential rights of an IPOS-OR obtained
- Linking of digital files to an IPOS-OR stored and encrypted by IPOS-DS
- Revoking of potential rights offered in any moment and replacement with a new set
- IPOS-OR searches based varying criteria
- IPOS-OR download
- Navigation through IPOS-OR hierarchy to ascertain all associated IPOS-ORs and lineage
- Solicitation of contact with IPOS-OR owners without making public a users contact information
- Obtention of licenses to authorise the use of IPOS-ORs and derivative IPOS-ORs regsitration
- Authorisation of IPOS-ORs registration based on the obtained licenses
- Automatic generation of reports detailing use made of one’s IPOS-ORs and related derivative IPOS-ORs
- Automatic calculation of payments required by one user from another
- Visualisation of associated files through Desktop IPOS application. This application first checks to see if the user has the required right before obtaining the encrypted file and associated keys and opening the file with the appropriate associated application.
IPOS-DS v1.0 is the first DSC Value Network Representation for any creator to communicate his Works and other creations with any user anywhere. To know more about the technical part and usage of IPOS-DS you can access the IPOS-DS
Tour. To access the IPOS-DS Application go to the IPOS-DS Application Page.
Desktop IPOS is a Java-based user application devised for rendering the resources associated to some kind of IPOS-ORs, while ensuring the enforcement of the rights and conditions established in the license acquired by the user. Desktop IPOS downloads, decrypts and finally renders the resource in the user’s default application. It is needed for all users that attempt to access the resources associated to the IPOS-ORs. Desktop IPOS can be downloaded from IPOS-DS Aplication Page.